Thursday, January 23, 2014

Son is Always Shining

As I was driving to work this morning, this was the wondrous sight that bedazzled me. It was just before sunrise, and I was going through the list of people and things for which I'm thankful. I stopped to snap this picture with my phone, knowing full well it wouldn't do the moment justice. The morning before, it was still very dark when I drove away from home. The moon and stars were shining brightly, and I could hardly keep my eyes on the road for wanting to gaze up into the sky. As I was processing these beautiful moments, it occurred to me that the sun is always shining, even when we can't see it. When it is nighttime here, somewhere else it is daytime. Translating that into our spiritual lives, the Son is always shining, even when we are in a dark place. He is always waiting to reveal His glory when we seek it.
I recently spoke with a very dear person who lost her daughter in a traffic accident. Her daughter, like my son, was 25 years old with a bright future ahead of her. It breaks my heart to know that my friend will walk through that dark valley of grief and loneliness. It seems during that difficult time, everyone else gets to go on with their normal lives, and you can barely breathe. God carries us through the valley until we can get back to the light, where we can recognize His glory.
My mantra (not a resolution) for this year is to have an attitude of gratitude. I am taking the time to "see" the sunrise and the little things in life that I previously had taken for granted. I am abundantly thankful for the gifts God has bestowed upon me. I am thankful for the Sonshine!
Romans 13:12  "The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light." 

No comments:

Post a Comment